Tools for the Task
- Spiritual Gifts in the Church
This Seminar addresses the issue of identifying spiritual gifts and releasing ministry within the church
Defining Spiritual Gifts:
Any definition of the term spiritual gift, as well as any attempt to define the specific gifts, needs to line up with Scripture. Since the Bible does not actually define these terms, we could use the following means to arrive at definitions:
- the whole counsel of the Word of God. God will never contradict Himself. His precepts, His plan through the ages, and the precedence seen in scriptural examples all need to be taken into consideration. Definitions must concur with the whole of who God is and not just the parts we like.
- principles that grow out of key passages on Body life in the church and spiritual gifts Key passages include Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12-14, and Ephesians 4. Definitions must be consistent with God's Word and not just fit our experience.
- words used in the original Greek language Often an examination of the original language of the Bible adds to our understanding. Definitions must be congruent with God's original intent and not be based on our own understanding.
Why Learn About Spiritual Gifting:
Pragmatically, needs are met through their use. Effective ministry therefore demands that we understand and use our spiritual gifts. An even greater reason is that it matters to God.
- God stresses the importance of spiritual gifts as evidenced by the amount of space given to this topic in the New Testament.
- God designed the church to grow as everybody does their part according to Ephesians 4:16.
Topics to be covered in the seminar
Jesus Releasing Ministry
Spiritual Gifts in the Bible
The Biblical Basis for the Gift of Prophecy
Prophecy in the Church